Archive for December 2007
My quest for the holy RSS grail continues. I tried Google Reader and several other web based feed readers, and they’re just not convenient enough. I am addicted to feedreader.
A new version of it does support synchronization to some specified location, which is sort of what I wanted. But now I am hindered by my poor upload speed, and find that this synchronization is extremely slow.
I turned to look for U3 solutions – just install some reader on my U3-enabled USB disk. Guess what? There is no U3-compliant RSS reader (if you don’t count Mozilla Thunderbird, which is too cumbersome). Feedreader claims to “work with U3”, but it doesn’t.
Finally I read in Wikipedia that the U3 format is about to become obsolete, just two months after I bought it.
Today Word 2007 corrupted a doc file Aya was working on. The repair function from inside Word failed to work, and a Google search revealed a myriad of word repair tools – some of them don’t work, and some of them not free.
Gmail managed to easily convert the doc to HTML, and then opening this HTML with Word provided a version of the document. The problem was of course that all the hebrew and symbols got misplaced (text direction problems and the like).
Finally I found the perfect solution – OpenOffice. A quick download (~120mb) and install, and I managed to easily open the original corrupt doc and resave it.