This blog has moved to Medium

Subscribe via email

Posts tagged ‘brute force’

Euler problem # 206

I just solved my 78th problem from Project Euler. The solution was not complicated (just a little mathematical observation) and then brute force CPU.

I was working on Aya‘s new laptop, and I noticed the C# code took 9 seconds to run in “power saver” mode, and only 4 seconds in “high performance” mode. It turns out that Vista caps the CPU speed at 50% for power saver mode. Sweet.

(This might seem very obvious to some, however I haven’t operated a laptop for several years, and so this is new to me – if Windows XP does such tricks, it is far less explicit than Vista).

Reached level 2 on Project Euler

And got me this nice cube as a reward.


Problems are starting to get more interesting, but not quite there yet. Still, brute force or nearly brute force solves a lot of problems. I’m somewhat surprised that I didn’t have to implement a decent primality test yet.

Cool problems to look at are 79 and 31 (hint: think of problem 18).